What is boron powder (single boron)
Boron powder, also known as monomeric boron and amorphous element boron, CAS RN is 7440-42-8, appearance is light brown to gray-black invisible powder, melting point is 2300℃±2℃, atomic weight is 10.81, and temperature is 2550℃, specific gravity is 2.34-2.37, insoluble in water, hydrochloric acid, ethanol and ether, soluble in cold concentrated alkali solution, decomposing hydrogen gas, and oxidized to boric acid by concentrated sulfuric acid and concentrated nitric acid. It can react with fluorine at space temperature and is not worn away by hydrochloric acid and hydrofluoric acid liquid options. Boron powder is insoluble in water and soluble in boiling nitric and sulfuric acids and most molten metals such as copper, iron, manganese, aluminum and calcium. It is widely used in metallurgy, electronics, medicine, ceramics, nuclear industry, chemical industry and other fields.
Properties of boron powder
Boron is in a special position in the periodic table between metals and non-metals. It has strong electronegative properties, small atomic radius, concentrated nuclear charge, and relatively active chemical properties. It is very stable at room temperature. It will be oxidized when heated to 300 degrees Celsius and become smelly when heated to 700 degrees Celsius. In addition, at high temperatures, it can interact with oxygen, nitrogen, sulfur, halogens and carbon, and can also interact with oxygen, nitrogen, sulfur, halogens and carbon. Many metals combine directly to form borides.
Uses of boron powder
Boron is used in metallurgy, electronics, medicine, ceramics, nuclear industry, chemical industry, etc., in the form of compounds or added to alloys as additives. It can be used in the smelting of special alloy steel and as a gas scavenger for molten steel, as a ignition pole for ignition tubes in the electronics industry, as control rods in atomic reactors and as high-energy rocket fuel; it is an important raw material for the manufacture of high-purity boron halide. It is a raw material for preparing a variety of borides; it can replace and save a large amount of precious and ene-deficient metals; boron and its compounds can also be used as catalysts for organic chemical reactions.
The role of boron powder
- Pyrotechnic additives. In terms of energy, boron should be the best non-metallic fuel. Moreover, the ignition temperature of boron powder is greatly reduced due to its irregular shape and large specific surface area;
- Boron powder is also an important raw material for manufacturing high-purity boron halide and preparing other boride raw materials;
- Oxygen-free copper smelting deoxidizer. A small amount of boron powder is added during the metal smelting process. On the one hand, it acts as a deoxidizer to prevent the metal from oxidizing at high temperatures;
- Used as an alloy component in special metal products to form alloys and improve the mechanical properties of metals.
- Boron powder can also be used as a welding additive;
- Solid rocket propellant;
- Automobile airbag initiator;
- Magnesia carbon brick additives for high-temperature steelmaking furnaces;
Uses of nano boron powder/micron boron powder
- Neutron absorbers and neutron counters for nuclear reactors.
- Catalyst for medicine, ceramic industry and organic synthesis.
- The ignition pole of the ignition tube in the electronics industry.
- High-energy fuel for solid rocket thrusters.
- Used in the synthesis of various high-purity boron-containing compounds.
- Used as airbag initiator in automobiles.
- Used in the smelting of special alloy steel.
- It is the raw material for producing boron fiber.
- It is a gas scavenger in molten copper.
- Can be used in fireworks industry.
- It is an important raw material for manufacturing high-purity boron halide.
- In terms of semiconductors and electricity, after carbonization treatment at about 2300°C, they are used as the cathode material of the ignition core in the ignition tube. It can also be used as a raw material for preparing high-quality cathode material lanthanum boride.
- In the atomic energy industry, it can be used as protective material and made into boron steel for use in atomic energy reactors.
- Boron is a raw material for manufacturing borane and various borides. Borane is used as a high-energy fuel for rockets and missiles.
TRUNNANO is a supplier of boron powder with over 12 years experience in nano-building energy conservation and nanotechnology development. It accepts payment via Credit Card, T/T, West Union and Paypal. Trunnano will ship the goods to customers overseas through FedEx, DHL, by air, or by sea. If you are looking for high quality mboron powder, please feel free to contact us and send an inquiry.